Nice Government photos

January 14th, 2012

Some cool Government images:

Peter Robinson and Dr Ian Paisley with Programme for Government
Government
Image by DUP Photos
Ian Paisley (First Minister) and Peter Robinson (Finance Minister) posing with the newly agreed Programme for Government of the Northern Ireland Executive

Vauxhall Bridge – sculpture details – Alfred Drury’s Local Government
Government
Image by ell brown
Details of the sculptures of the Vauxhall Bridge.

The Vauxhall Bridge is a Grade II* listed steel and granite deck arch bridge in Central London.

It crosses the Thames between Vauxhall on the south bank of the Thames and Westminster on the north side of the Thames. It was opened in 1906, replacing an earlier bridge.

The bridge was declared Grade II* listed status in 2008 to provide protection to preserve its character from further alteration.

The bridge was designed by Sir Alexander Binnie, although not many people liked his original design, so he submitted another one. His design had 5 spans with concrete and granite.

When they placed the granite piers, the builders discovered that a concrete bridge would be too heavy (there was clay under the Thames) so they changed it to a steel superstructure.

It was opened in 1906 by the Prince of Wales (the future George V).

This statue on the Vauxhall Bridge is Alfred Drury’s Local Government.

Former site of Blue Coats School – 5 St Philips Place (former Prudential Assurance building) – West Midlands Government Office
Government
Image by ell brown
Shots taken from the churchyard of St Philip’s Cathedral of a couple of nearby buildings.

This is the site of the former Blue Coats School.

This is the former site of the Blue Coat School which was established in the 1700s. It was a major Birmingham school.

On St Philips Place.

At 5 St Philips Place.

This white building is the former Prudential Assurance building of 1935-37. By the Prudential Assurance Architects’ Department, but P B Chatwin’s papers suggest he was involved. Beaux Arts classicism in Portland stone. The Doric order imitates that of the Cathedral. Extra storey and irritating canopy by Temple Cox Nicholls, 2002.

Above from Pevsner Architectural Guides: Birmingham by Andy Foster.

Edit: June 2010

Walking past it again, I noticed a sign for West Midlands Government Office.

Posted by admin

Trackback URL for this entry

%d bloggers like this: